In Luke 21:25-28, Jesus said there is an exciting time coming when we should look up, literally unbend ourselves, and lift up our heads because Jesus is about to return to earth.
In verse 25 Jesus said we should look up when we see three types of prophetic signs
- Signs in the sky, "in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars"
- Signs on the land, "on the earth distress of nations with perplexity"
- Signs in the ocean, "the sea and the waves roaring"
I think the time has arrived. It is time for Christians to start looking heavenward. The Lord explained there are two very practical reasons we should look up.
- Christians need to look up because the world is frightening. Looking down at the negative news and heartbreaking headlines can make you a nervous wreck. Jesus anticipated, "Men's heart's failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth" verse 26.
- Christians need to look up because Jesus will return on high. We need to be upwardly focused, not downcast. Our Savior is not coming from Hollywood, Wall Street, or the White House. Our Lord is coming in the sky. "They will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory" verse 27. Since the Lord is coming heaven we need to be looking that direction.